You are now displaying pictures from the city of: Qingdao

St. Michael's Cathedral in Qingdao

Shandong > Qingdao

Picture tagged with: religion religion Picture tagged with: architecture architecture Picture tagged with: church church

St. Michael's Cathedral is the product of a strong German presence in Shandong Province in the 19th and early 20th centuries. In the mid-19th century the European powers forcibly opened China to foreign trade. The Divine Word Missionaries built a church in the Jiaozhou Bay concession in Shandong in 1902, and in 1934 erected the cathedral, which remained nominally under their administration until 1964. In 1942 it came under the control of the Japanese Army, returning to Chinese control when the Japanese left Qingdao in 1945. In the early 1950s, all foreign missionaries, including the Bishop of Qingdao, were either imprisoned or expelled from China, and during the Cultural Revolution (1966–1976) the cathedral was defaced and abandoned. In 1981, it was repaired by the government and reopened for services, and in 1992 it was listed as a Provincial Historic Building by the government of Shandong Province.

   St. Michael's Cathedral in Qingdao

More photos from Qingdao

Qingdao : Buddha Qingdao : Art Deco building Qingdao : Temple in the Western mountains Qingdao : Starfish as a starter Qingdao : Qingdao Alley Qingdao : Qingdao Cathedral Qingdao : Rocket Qingdao : Coast Natural Qingdao : Qingdao seashore Qingdao : Yuighur restaurant Qingdao : The girl on the wall